Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Canadian Alliance(s)

Tommy Johnson: I had to be up at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated.
Via James Bow, I've been introduced to a new blog alliance, the Blogging New Democrats. You might think I would be a natural to join. After all, I've spoken many times about my NDP membership, my involvement, even my candidacy (twice!) for the Alberta New Democrats. How could I not be a Blogging Dipper?

Well, first of all, I never started blogging to be on a team. I'm not here to do advocacy on behalf of something other than my own opinions.

Further, I don't think the Canadian blogosphere dividing itself into teams is a positive change. There are Tories, Liberals, and New Democrats among my links, as well as several people who proclaim a lack of affiliation. They all have interesting things to say - sometimes, they have convincing things to say. I don't want a tag at the top of every page acting like gang colours. I don't need the shorthand to tell me if I'm going to agree with the writer (and yes, I am that lazy). When the Red Ensign was making its rounds, I only had to see it on the page to decide to move on. I don't want to alienate people who wander by, who see I'm flying the orange flag, and leave, because I would never have anything on the page that differs from NDP orthodoxy.

I'm somewhat attracted to signing up with James Bow's "non-partisan" Canadians, but that would be a bare-faced lie. Because, you know.... NDP candidate, and all. I give them money. I volunteer. So that's not an option for me. And as much as it would be nice to have the links and the extra attention by joining the Dippers, this blog has been too critical on too many occasions of Jack and the federal party as it exists to make my potential NDP "teammates" very happy.

I've got no choice. "I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated."

No comments: