Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The Holy Bible: Now a Major Motion Picture starting Jack Black as Pontius Pilate



It's Ash Wednesday, and that always spells big screen blockbusters.



I have a strong desire to attend today's big release, if only to start up a chorus of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life as the movie wanes. But reviews suggest that the film's message is single-minded and forceful: getting crucified is an ugly and bloody business. If that's an important message, strengthening the faith of the flock, it speaks volumes about who we are, how we understand, and what our religious institutions communicate.



I'm going to speak to the film, trusting the reviewer descriptions thereof. It may be some time before I actually see the film, and I'll let you know if my impressions change.



Just as some people seemed to have required Spielberg's hand-holding to get the fact that war isn't all ponies and ice cream, so too will some people require the emotional impact of "seeing" a crucifixion to get the fact that it was, as I say, an ugly and bloody business. But just as Saving Private Ryan, beyond the emotional impact, didn't really have anything to say about the causes or prevention of war, neither does a graphic description of the death of Christ have much to tell us about faith.



I'm Christian, and one of the attractions of the faith to me is that we are asked to think and consider, not just to feel and react. "God is the Word." I don't want to say that we can't have our faith challenged and changed by artistic representations, including film. The Last Temptation of Christ challenged me to consider the humanity, the human-ness, of Christ, and was perhaps the moment for me when I thought "this crucifixion thing is no joke - that's some serious sacrifice." I'm not sure I need a "spiritual splatter film" to reinforce the point.

No comments: