Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Maybe I overspoke, maybe I didn't



This story on canada.com (so, essentially, the story which may have been in the Post, but I didn't want to sully my hands with that particular brand of ink just to find out) claims Scott Brison won't be running for the leadership. It tells us this through the following paragraphs:



It appears Nova Scotia MP Scott Brison, who finished third at the Tory leadership race in May, will not run this time around.



...



Mr. Brison, who is openly gay, is uneasy about the Alliance stand against same-sex marriage and its reputation as socially conservative.



The Nova Scotia MP, who finished fourth in the last Tory leadership race, voted for merger because he thinks the country needs a united alternative to the governing Liberals, but said: ''My doubts have grown in recent days that this [new] party will reflect the kind of Progressive Conservative values that I've felt proud to support.''
There you have it. Come out in the National Post, and drop a place in the standings.



My point here is that this sort of reliability suggests you might want to take the story with a grain of salt.



The Globe adds this tidbit:



Tory MP Scott Brison has [along with Manitoba Tory MP Rick Borotsik] also said he will not remain in the party if it is led by Mr. Harper.



.....



Mr. Borotsik also added: "if Stephen Harper is taking this party forward, then that shows to me that it's nothing more than a continual metamorphosis from the Reform [Party] to the Alliance to the Conservative."
(I've reversed these two paragraphs - only full disclosure here at RevMod)



I think that's a standard I can go by - if Harper wins, expect to see the strikeouts I alluded to on Saturday.



(For the record, Brison came fourth of the four candidates left on the second ballot. Try to find specific results - man, what a grueling and fruitless search!)

No comments: