Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Monday, October 27, 2003

Fishing for trouble



Is there any chance I might be able to book one of these vacations at the Irving fishing lodge? They certainly seem to be very popular - it must be an excellent resort. And I like the Brick-style "no money down, pay no interest for two years" deal, too.



Yes, it looks a little suspicious that all of these Ministers stayed at this Irving resort for a holiday. But what should cabinet do? I mean, it's do business with the Irvings, or skip New Brunswick altogether.



[Environment Minister David] Anderson's visit took place months before his department issued new guidelines concerning sulphur content in gasoline. Irving Oil produces low-sulphur fuels.
Those bastards! Lobbying government for stricter environmental standards, and then being in position to cash in from those standards! What will these people stoop to?



I suppose a better New Democrat would understand that the Irvings are Super-Rich!(tm) and therefore inherently evil. I personally don't think cabinet members can really be bought as cheaply as this, by and large. This is an illustration that a Super-Rich!(tm) lodge owner gets to bend a cabinet member's ear for a few days more easily than I can, but if we're honest, I think we can all recognize that if the Irvings want a meeting with a Minister, they're going to get the meeting PDQ.



I'm glad everyone's lining up to pay the Irvings back, because the appearance of honesty is as important as honesty itself, but I don't think there's any need to dwell on this, or to suggest that this is proof of a dirty government deep in the pockets of the Super-Rich!(tm). At least, any more so than we thought before.

No comments: