Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Another day, another motion



See those links scrolling along under the title? See the links to the Bill C-250 posts? C-250 has been the flashpoint issue for a lot of oddball concerns, and led to some strange but admittedly grassroots campaigning.



C-250 would amend the hate speech legislation to add sexual orientation as a protected difference. Essentially, anyone advocating genocide against homosexuals would have to make a visit to court, if this bill passes. Some of your more fundamental Christian leaders fear that they won't be able to mutter bible passages about Sodom and Gommorah on streetcorners any longer if this passes.



I hope that Parliament disagrees, and after yesterday's marriage vote, I'm hopeful it will. But let me remind you of one of the pressures that failed yesterdays vote: the tendency of government members to vote against opposition resolutions. I think this is going to fail today, but I think and hope it will come back as a government motion in the very near future.



Update: I'll be damned! They passed it... huge! Glad I wasn't betting on the result.

No comments: