Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Friday, February 28, 2003

The bastards respond



Americans have been linking to the CBC after Matt Drudge led them to the Carolyn Parrish story, and they've been leaving their angry comments. Here's my favourite:



"I smile every time I read another Canadian in 'authority' make yet another snide comment about America or Americans. I smile because without America and Americans your mouths would be absolutely shut. To quote a famous American movie: 'You sleep under the very blanket of freedom we provide,'" wrote Matthew B. Simpson.



Simpson refers to A Few Good Men. The quotation reads: "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it."




The CBC generously doesn't recount the context of the A Few Good Men quote: Jack Nicholson's Col. Jessop arrogantly declares that his ends justify whatever means he elects to employ, and he should not be tried or even questioned about those means. And then the evil Col. Bush Jessop is successfully prosecuted by attractive JAG officers, and the audience is happy, because Col. Jessop is the villian of this piece.

No comments: