Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Tuesday, December 31, 2002

On second thought...



I'm not sure I should go over Ezra's five reasons to go to war after all. As I've reflected, and now reread, on what I wrote this morning, I realize Ezra Levant is the ultimate straw man. He writes the most idiotic things, defends them with tangled and aimless "logic", and ultimately appeals to our lowest petty hatreds and fears. However abhorent his writing is, it's way too easy to reduce his arguments to a shambles. I really don't understand why the Sun continues to give him column inches, but I think I should resolve in the new year to accept that and move on. In the meantime, there are far more thoughtful and intelligent people who are in favour of making war in Iraq. Contradicting them with equal doses of thoughtfulness and intelligence, and putting aside the shouting classes, seems a better use of my time.



On the other hand, only unusual circumstances kept Ezra from becoming a Member of Parliament. He's been advisor to the Leader of the Opposition. He's been published in newspapers across the country. And if he only believes half of what he writes, he's batshit crazy. Somebody's got to shout back on occasion.



Sigh. What to do, what to do....

No comments: